Mission and Objectives
The Research Institute of Nutrition and Food Safety at the University of Barcelona (INSA-UB) is an institute on its own, which was created in order to cope with the demands and needs of society in research, training and services sectors related to the food industry.
The researchers are experts in various aspects of nutrition, food analysis and control, food safety and the study of the social and economic impact of food.
INSA-UB, based at the Food and Nutrition Torribera Campus, was approved in 2005, promoted by research groups affiliated to the faculties of Pharmacy and Food Sciences, Biology, Chemistry and Geography and History:
- Carry out quality research in areas that are specific and relevant to food science and human health.
- Facilitate technology transfer and offer advice and training in the food industry and the authorities.
- Provide scientifically based information to consumers.
The objectives of INSA-UB are:
- To promote research in their fields, promoting the establishment of multidisciplinary teams.
- Promote participation in research programs and institutional management, especially in European research projects.
- Encourage the development of joint projects with companies in related scope of INSA-UB.
- To provide the social environment in this area, especially the training of technicians and specialists and services.
- Promote the transfer of knowledge and the dissemination of research results between society and the authorities.
- Advising consumers, businesses and government aspects of nutrition and food quality and safety.